Apr 23, 2010

An Urgent Life

Just when I get a sense of urgency to do something, to make a difference, to tie up loose ends, along comes Cliff at Halfpasthuman.com, predicting World War 3.

He says that on Nov 8 of this year, Iran & Iraq will be at war, drawing in the rest of the world.

Maybe it's true. Maybe it's not. Cliff has a lot more information and insight on the subject than do I, so I won't try to refute him. Instead, I'm going to pose these questions:

What if you "knew" you had 6 months to live? What would you do? What would you do differently? Where would you go? Who would you call? What would you say?

Rupert Holmes wrote a song in the 70s called "Drop It." One line went like this:

Why not blow
a wad of dough
and see the world at large?
If the world should end
We shall know, my friend,
that we both beat out MasterCharge.

Ok, it's a fantasy. We don't "know." It would be foolish, from a fiscal viewpoint, to spend my retirement savings on a Caribbean cruise, just in case the world ends. I am obligated to act as though I will live to retirement, and to prepare accordingly.

In reality, I'd pretty much keep on doing what I do every day: loving my husband and children, expecting and encouraging only the best from them, having an occasional lunch with my girlfriends, teaching, and striving every day to make a positive difference in the lives of those whom God sets in my path.

Within the parameters of Stewardship and responsible behavior, what would you do with your last 6 months?

Can you stop Iran from nuking Israel? I can't.
I know that I cannot change the world. I can only change the world around me.

What difference will you make on the world around you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment