Aug 5, 2010

Government Punishes Good $ Decisions

I looked online to see what the Income Eligibility Guidelines are for free and reduced priced lunches in public schools. They've not been published yet for the 10-11 school year, but I was directed to the usda page that talks about it. I clicked on the 09-10 form, figuring that the amounts wouldn't be very different.

It seemed like normal Government-ese until I started skimming down the definition of "income." Check out this one:

(14) other cash income.
Other cash income would include cash
amounts received or withdrawn from
any source including savings,
investments, trust accounts and other
resources that would be available to pay
the price of a child’s meal.

Let's say I used to be employed. Let's say I put money away for a rainy day. Let's say that now I'm out of work. My good financial decision to save during the good times is being punished. My savings is considered "income" and my children are not eligible for reduced price lunches for no other reason than that I exercised wisdom and good financial sense.

If I had blown every cent when I had the chance, whether on cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, or drugs, I'd be rewarded with reduced priced lunches.

Something's rotten. I didn't cause it, and I can't cure it, but I know stink when I smell it.

What stink can you smell today?

No comments:

Post a Comment