Oct 4, 2011

Slow Down!

The constellation Orion has been in the sky for thousands of years. I always look for the belt, the 3 stars in a row, to find it in the sky in the fall & early winter months, in the wee hours as I pick up my morning paper off the driveway.

Well, for 20 years or so I've looked for it. Before that, I didn't know it was there. I didn't think about it. It was always there, but I didn't have time to look. That is, until I was 9 months pregnant and had to trot out to get the morning paper with a porch covered in ice and snow. I sloooowly went out for my paper, and as I slowed down, I looked at the stars. I thought, "Hey, cool! Those same stars will still be there, and my unborn child will be looking at them long after I'm gone."

It was beautiful and majestic. I wished I'd noticed it sooner.

I'm glad it's not too late.

There are some changes coming in the Liturgy of the Catholic Church. ("The" Church.) The beauty and majesty of the original translations has been watered down post-Vatican II, and they're bringing back the beauty and majesty of the original.

People are so used to reciting the prayers by rote. As they read the new missal, they will now be forced to slow down and think about what they're saying. They'll be forced to think about something they've been too busy to notice before....

H'mmm. Not a bad thing.

What will you slow down to notice today?

No comments:

Post a Comment