Jun 20, 2015

Abstinence vs Moderation

When I quit smoking, ages ago (thank you, Jesus!) I quit smoking. I came to realize that I didn't want "just one." I wanted all of them. I can't "reward" myself because I've been so good, because one leads to another and another.

So I quit. For good. Once and for all.

I am at a point now where I am struggling with my weight, and I cannot use the same strategy or hard-willed determination that worked before. I have to come up with a new plan.

You don't need cigarettes to live. You do need food. So how do you reconcile the need to eat, with moderation and satiety?

I can't just quit eating. I can't just quit thinking of food. Gluttony is a sin, and as such, eating too much is a spiritual problem.

I don't have an answer or any miracle diet to try. I'm going to commit it to confession and penance (Lord, please don't let the priest give me fasting as a penance!!!)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment