Jul 5, 2015

Self Pity

I'm going to preach to myself for a minute, because this is a real area of struggle, not just for me, but many I know. Self-pity. Things are not going my way, boo hoo. This is not the life I signed up for! I was expecting something better than this! I don't know what, but better than this!

Joyce Meyer says: “Self-pity is actually idolatry because it is self-focus carried to the extreme. When we allow ourselves to fall into self-pity, we are essentially rejecting God’s love and His ability to change things.”

Tim Robbins says: “All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously."

John Gardner says: “Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the non-pharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality.” 


Erwin W. Lutzer says: “Satan exploits pain by making it the central focus of the man’s (or woman’s) thoughts and attitudes.” 

Self pity leads to depression, it discounts the power of God, it is an arrow slung by the enemy to get us to be discontent with what we have....

When you think about it that way, it's more dangerous than you thought. Not just a bad habit. It can be deadly. 

Keep your eye on the prize, loved ones. Eye on the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment