Jul 8, 2015

The Death of a Child

There is a club I do not wish to join - no parent does. It is parents who have had to bury their child. I heard today about a young girl, recent HS graduate, who just didn't wake up.

She just. didn't. wake. up.

What do you tell the parents at a time like this? Here's what not to say:

It was God's will. (The enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy.)

She's an angel now. (Humans and angels are separate created beings - one will never become the other.)

She's smiling down on us. (She's probably in purgatory! Keep praying for her!)

Let me know if there's anything I can do. (This is so vague as to be no help at all. A better offer might be, "Can I take your dog to the groomer's for you one day next week?"  "Is there anyone you'd like me to call?" "Here's a gift card to order out pizza any night you don't want to cook." Now that's helpful.)

The girl was about my daughter's age. Those parents could have easily been us. I try to put myself in their shoes, and the feeling of unimaginable horror envelopes me.

I just. cannot. imagine. anything. worse.

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

And God? Wrap your arms around that family - real tight - cause they're gonna need it! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment