Aug 8, 2015

The Catholic Way To Climb a Tree

So I was listening to the beautiful ladies at The Visitation Project on Mater Dei Radio talking about (of all things) "the Catholic way to climb a tree." They weren't sure which of our Church Fathers or other eminent theologian said it, but the concept was intriguing.

My inner geeky pedant compelled me to look it up, and according to this ewtn page, Romana Guardini said it. I don't know who he is. I'm still not sure what it means, other than that our Catholicism permeates *everything* we do. Or it should.

I'm glad Heather, Rebecca, and Bonnie didn't know much about it, either. They were honest about their limitations. It's what makes them authentic and worth listening to. It's hard to listen to people who are so far above you on the holiness ladder, your neck hurts just hearing them speak.

I need friends who lead me to holiness. I need friends who speak Truth. But I also need friends who build me up, not lord over me how much holier they are than I. No one knows better than I what a long way I have to go.

Some smart and holy people remind me constantly how smart and holy they are. I don't like them. I don't want to listen to anything they have to say. I don't want to be like them. (My inner geeky pedant is begging, O Lord, please keep me from being so geeky and pedantic!)

When I am on radio/podcast/whatever, I want my listeners to remind me to be authentic, not pedantic. The world does not need more pedants; it needs more love.

Dear Jesus, more you, less me, please. Thank you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment