Sep 30, 2015

Traditions

Traditions make us feel part of something bigger than ourselves. They are something to look forward to, something to count on, something special.

Birthday traditions often include cake. Well, I have a son who prefers blueberry pie. So, guess what we have on his birthday?

In our family, and my family of origin, we sing happy birthday in three verses, not just one. And we don't care who's listening. ;-)

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, dear (Name),
Happy birthday to you

We love you we do
We love you we do
We love you, dear (Name),
We love you we do

God's blessings on you
God's blessings on you
God's blessings on you
God's blessings on you

and the birthday girl or boy has to sing back:

I thank you I do
I thank you I do
I thank you, everybody
I thank you, I do

and THEN he/she can blow out the candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment