Sep 7, 2009

I Was Always on My Mind

The road to hell... as they say.

I heard Kevin Skinner on "America's Got Talent" (love him!!!) sing an old Willie Nelson tune. The lyrics are something like, "Little things I should have said and done, I just never took the time. But you were always on my mind..." No I wasn't. YOU were always on your mind.

Love compels to action.

If you are thinking fondly of someone, yet fail to communicate that thought, you may as well never had it at all. How hard is it to pick up the phone & say, "Hey, I was thinking about you - how are you doin'?"

Do you know how much joy you can bring to someone for a mere 44 cents? Let me clue you in: many elderly people are probably not on SMS, email, Twitter, Facebook, or Linked In. They do, however, go to their physical mailbox each day. If you see a funny cartoon that reminds you of your 5th grade teacher, cut it out, drop it in an envelope (with or without a note) and send it on its way. Took you all of a minute and a 44 cent stamp, to bring untold joy to another.

What a bargain!

I know couples who have been married 50+ years. How does that happen? By being generous of time and action. You do for each other, you give your time, your attention, and all those acts of love daily: fix coffee, pick up socks, laugh as his or her jokes, send a text message saying "Thanks for being mine," bring home a single flower, help with the dishes... It's not a big deal; it's a thousand little ones. You don't stay married by being selfish. Two selfish people can barely stay married 6 months. For God so loved the world that he gave.

Love = giving.

You have to give to be happy. It's an essential ingredient in marriage, the secret for positive relationships and successful families.

Who is on your mind today?

No comments:

Post a Comment