May 30, 2010

Classroom Crowding

I hate to get on my soapbox about the olden days, but as teacher positions continue to be cut, classroom sizes continue to increase. I am reminded of my first grade classroom at Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School.

There were 20 girls, 20 boys, and Sister Lois Ann.

You didn't mess with Sister Lois Ann.

It was a different world then. Children obeyed their teachers, because they knew they'd get in trouble at home if they did not. Today, parents have been known to cuss out teachers who dare to expect a standard of behavior or academic achievement. As a teacher, I hope I wouldn't take it personally. It's not wrong to raise the bar high.

I've taught classrooms of 38 students. I've had visitors admire my classroom control.

I learned a lot from Sister Lois Ann. Even if I didn't know it at the time.

What, in retrospect, did you learn from your early teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment